Search This Blog

Friday, October 25, 2013

Midterm

I just gave my hybrid myth class their midterm. I am not anticipating a happy grading period on this one. Throughout the midterm there was an abundance of chair/position shifting, long sighs, skyward looks, and forlorn glances my way. All clear signs of student unrest concerning the exam. Going into the exam I didn't think that they would fair any better than this but I still hoped that they would pull it together in between the review and the midterm. The review, which consists of games including Pictionary, Charades, and Jeopardy, was not a success for this class. Many students did not know some answers to the easier questions in the games and they did not approach the review with the confidence that my traditional lecture class section did.

I worry that I set my hybrid class up to fail-not literally, but my traditional lecture class is exceptional this semester and I wonder if any class was going to have a hard time competing with them. It doesn't help that I am trying to evaluate this teaching method at the same time. I don't give the same exam to both of my classes, though some of the questions and the essay were the same this term. I am not sure if these will be enough to judge the class by.

Also, at the start of the exam my there were 7 people present out of the 21 that there were supposed to be. Fewer than half showed up on time. Things need to change, I am just not sure what or how.

No comments:

Post a Comment